Swing Bed Rehabilitation: Stay Local
Optim Medical Center-Screven and Optim Medical Center-Tattnall offer a “Swing Bed” rehabilitation program, which allows for an alternative discharge plan beyond an extended acute care stay or short-term facility placement. Our Swing Bed program allows patients who no longer require critical care, but still need skilled services, to recover in the comfort of their local hospital.
- Physical Therapy
- Skilled Nursing Care
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
Q: What is a “Swing Bed”?
A: Swing Bed refers to a rehab program that allows for an alternative discharge plan beyond an extended acute care stay or short-term facility placement. Our Swing Bed program allows patients who no longer require critical care, but still need skilled services, to recover in the comfort of a local hospital.
Q: How long will I stay?
A: The average length of stay is 10 days. However, your length of stay depends on your progress and participation towards physician led goals.
Q: Will my insurance pay?
A: Medicare will cover the first 20 days at 100% and the last 80 days at 80% (most secondary insurances will pick up the remaining 20% balance beyond 20 days), depending on the need for skilled services. Most private insurance companies will cover Swing Bed services and other government funded insurances will often consider coverage based on prior authorization. Our Swing Bed Coordinator and Case Manager will verify your benefits and help you understand your personal coverage.
Q: Is Swing Bed appropriate for me?
A: If you are suffering from any of the following and are unable to safely return home, our Swing Bed program may be an appropriate option for you:
- Joint replacement
- Orthopedic injury or surgery
- Deconditioning / weakness
- Trauma related injury
- Stroke or other brain injury
- Infection of disease requiring IV antibiotics
- Recent falls or balance deficits
- Difficult wound healing
- Cardiac conditioning
- Respiratory conditioning
- Neuromuscular disorders
Q: Can my family visit me?
A: Currently, due to the coronavirus pandemic visitors are restricted. Our Swing Bed Coordinator and/or Case Manager can provide more detailed information on visitation.
Q: Will my doctor see me every day?
A: As a Swing Bed patient, your doctor is not required to see you but once every 7 days. However, as a patient in our program your local hospitalist will visit you at least 2-3
days per week, if not more. In the event they do not make rounds on a particular day, your highly trained nursing and rehabilitation staff will notify your physician of any change in your condition.
Q: What will my day consist of?
A: Here’s an example of a daily schedule.
7:00 AM – 7:30 AM Bathing, dressing, ADLs
7:30 AM – 8:00 AM Breakfast
8:00 AM – 8:30 AM Personal time
8:30 AM – 11:30 AM AM therapy / activities
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM Lunch
12:30 PM – 4:00 PM PM therapy / activities
4:00 PM – 4:30 PM Personal time
4:30 PM – 5:30 PM Dinner
5:30 PM – 6:00 PM Bathing, dressing, ADLs
6:00 PM – 7:00 PM Personal time
Q: What do I need to bring with me?
A: Personal items of value are discouraged, here is a list of what we suggest.
- Comfortable, loose fitting clothes (dusters, shorts, pull-over tops, pull-on bottoms, sweat pants, etc.)
- Comfortable, light weight shoes with suitable tread
- Toiletries (the basics are provided at Admission)
- Any assistive devices or equipment you currently use at home. Social Services will help provide any items that you need but do not already have.
We look forward to working with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate level of care for your personal needs, enabling you to recover in the comfort of your local hospital and to return home in optimal health… getting you, back to you!